Veg or Vegan?
What is a vegetarian?
The definition of a vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat, fowl, or fish.
What is a vegan?
The definition of a vegan is someone who does not eat animal products, including meat, fish, seafood, eggs, and dairy products.
A vegan lifestyle is one in which a person tries to abstain from any animal products, such as leather, fur, wool, down, etc.
We understand that there are numerous reasons and causes that lead to vegetarianism/ veganism, and we are open to all points of view. Regardless of the reason there are many health benefits to choosing a meat-free diet. Vegetarians often have
- Much lower cholesterol levels and heart disease is less common
- Lower blood pressure than non-vegetarians
- Lower blood glucose levels
- Cancer deaths of 1/2 to 3/4 of those in the general population
- Less tendency to form kidney stones or gall stones
- Less frequency of osteoporosis
On top of these tidbits, it should be noted that choosing a vegan diet is considered the healthiest choice as a vegan diet is *cholesterol-free*.
Many people interested in transitioning to a vegetarian diet find the leap quite intimidating. Everyone chooses the method that works best for them, but we'll give a few suggestions.
- Visit restaurants the provide ethnic food: Indian, Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, and Japanese restaurants often have vegetarian dishes on their menus and can easily modify their listed dishes to be meat-free
- Walk through your local health food store and peruse the aisles. You'll be amazed at products you never knew existed! This can make the transition seem much less of a struggle.
- Don't be afraid to try the convenience foods, especially if you do not cook much. Your local health food store deli will have vegetarian options ready to eat. Canned fruits and vegetables take minimal time to prepare. Thai food kits can be purchased even at traditional supermarkets.
Your options will surprise you! If you find you would like more options or help, feel free to contact us and we'll do all we can.